Sunday, November 12, 2006

Word Game Jig Saw Puzzle

I've wanted to include jigsaw puzzles on my site for a long time but haven't had any jigsaw puzzle software to do it with. Today I found the software, learnt how to make jigsaw puzzles and have just uploaded the first one to my website for the world to play with on their computer screens.

I took one of my most popular posters and dropped it into Jigs@w Puzzle 2 and began to have a play. I then saved it as an exe file and let my son have a play with it. He enjoyed the challenge and especially liked the way the program tells you how long you took to complete the puzzle.

Feel free to download it and send it on to as many of your friends who need it. (This will save me a little bandwidth hehehe)

Cheers

Adrian
PS You can download the software and make your own puzzles very, very easily via the link on my site :)

3 Comments:

At November 13, 2006, Blogger Anne said...

Hi Adrian
I continue to follow your creations with interest and enjoy the fact that you clearly love what you do. I do have a little concern and it's probably being a little picky but it's something that I feel pretty passionate about even though I'm prepared to listen to others' (your) point of view. It could be argued that some of the resources that you have created cannot really be called 'reading' resources. I think they can quite validly be called something like "games about how words work" and that they may be very valuable for some children but I would suggest that reading is fundamentally about comprehension. And being able to read a word in isolation does not guarantee comprehension or understanding. I know I'm being a bit pedantic here but I know that you are clearly a very thoughtful and innovative teacher and I hope won't mind me making this comment. regards Anne

 
At November 13, 2006, Blogger An Urban Mercy said...

Dear Anne,

I must say that I do agree with your points. I have often thought about adding a bit to the site about how my resources should be used as part of a balanced reading program ie 'top down' and 'bottom up' and not as a be all and end all segmented, non-flexible structuralist, approach.

I think what I'm trying to do here is give access to a cueing system that will enable decoding. For many children this is a barrier to comprehension esp for some of the LD kids.

Feel free to challenge away!

Adrian

 
At November 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite my concerns I have passed your ideas onto our teachers at school. I think we have to allow for the possibility of all different learning styles and for some this type of learning may suit very well. The most important thing is, as you have said, it is and should never be, the be all and end all. But should be seen as an adjuct and engaging addition to an understanding the complexities of the English language :) cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home